I officially love darning! It was so much fun darning this jumper and without a doubt saved it from going to landfill. There are 14 darned patches altogether. I used sock wool, some of which was variegated and for other patches I used a different colour for the warp and the weft.
When I showed someone the jumper recently, they had a confused look on their face and asked "Why?"
I know it may seem strange but that sense of achievement when you have mended something, breathed new life into an item of clothing, learnt a new skill, mindfully fixed something by hand, is exhilarating. Of course, it takes effort and time. It would be more convenient and quicker to just go to the shop to buy a new one. But by mending a garment we are combatting fashion waste, diverting textiles from landfill, slowing down consumption, being environmentally conscious and creating a unique, personalised garment.
Our grandmothers would mend clothes out of necessity. Families had a limited amount of clothes because they were not as readily available, often home made and were expensive. People looked after their clothes and kept wearing them until they wore out and then they patched them so they could wear them some more.
Today clothes are cheap, easily accessible and as a result we have lost the need and desire to look after and appreciate our clothes. We have also lost the skills to mend our clothes. Why do people need to bother? Not because of necessity but because we need to look after our planet. It is our responsibility.
It seems like pants with wide legs are quite fashionable at the moment. I picked up this pattern at a second hand shop. It was a simple pattern to make with an elastic waist band. The doona cover I used was very soft and silky, so the pants have a lovely comfortable feel - like wearing pyjamas. The pants fit well and are easy to wear. They feel like something you could dress up to go out or wear lounging around at home watching a movie. I enjoyed wearing them to work today with a white t-shirt and denim jacket.
I don't know about you but it always helps me to finish a project when I have a deadline. This Saturday I am giving a talk about my ReSew2020 project at Simple Living Toowoomba and I am determined to have all the projects complete. I have finished another two which I will show you in the next day or two and then I have one to go! Fingers crossed I can make it. I know it has taken me a lot longer than expected but I have had fun along the way and have heaps more ideas to experiment with.
With this project I really wanted to make a zippered pouch with tabs. The zip is a recycled zip that I rescued from another project and the material is a combination of upcycled sheets and a scrap of fabric I found at school, of all places. It is lined and reversible.
I put the finishing touches on my upcycled mittens while away camping on the weekend.
I made the mittens from the sleeves of a jumper - the cuff on the jumper being the cuff on the mittens. I used the front part of the jumper in my patchwork cardigan and wanted to use up some more of the material.
I think they came up a treat with a little bit of boro and sashiko inspired patchwork and embroidery on the front to decorate.
Here is my latest upcycling project. An overall dress from a denim skirt. No pattern. I made the front pockets from left over fabric, unpicked the pockets and put them on the back and unpicked some belt keepers and put them on the bib. I wore this to work the other day and received so many compliments, even from my primary school students. BTW the socks are ones I knitted myself and this was the first time I wore them.
It has been a long time since I completed a ReSew project. To find out what the ReSew2020 Project is all about have a look at this page - https://www.simpleslowstill.com.au/resew2020.html. I know it is no longer 2020 but I am going to keep that name in honour of the year that was.
I really loved this dress when I bought it from the second hand shop but it was just a bit too short. I was going to just make a top out of it and use the lovely frills for something else. But then my daughter suggested I make it into a skirt to make the most of the frills. Then I thought I could use the top part of the dress, extend it and turn that into a shirt. Two for the price of one!
With the skirt I was able to let some darts out to give me some more width. Then I simply attached some bias binding around the top of the skirt and threaded some elastic through. It doesn't look spectacular and I will always wear a shirt over the top but it works.
It took me ages to decide what to do with the top. With gathered dresses and tops back in fashion I thought I would give that a go. It looked ridiculous! I looked like a clown in the circus. Also wasn't sure what colours to use. I didn't want to just use blue so I thought I would do the strips of varying widths.
I love the skirt and have worn it several times. A number of people commented how much they liked it when I wore it. I am not sold on the top yet. I think it works. I may just have to give it some time to get used to it.
Hello! My name is Margy. I enjoy living simply, I am trying to slow down and I am learning how to be still. I would love you to join me on this exciting adventure.